THE SOLEMNITY OF OUR LADY, THE QUEEN OF THE MOST HOLY ROSARY – First Sunday of October every year
BARTOLOME ESTEBAN PEREZ MURILLO - The Madonna of the Rosary - Baroque style
- completeD in the year 1650 - Gallery: The Goya Museum, Castres, France.
Our Lady of the Rosary also known as Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary is a title of the Blessed Virgin Mary in relation to the Rosary. On October 7, in the year 1571, Pope St. Pius V instituted "Our Lady of Victory" as an annual feast to commemorate the victory in the Battle of Lepanto. The victory was attributed to the Blessed Virgin Mary, as a rosary procession had been offered on that day in St. Peter's Square in Rome for the success of the mission of the Holy League to hold back Muslim forces from overrunning Western Europe. In 1573, Pope Gregory XIII changed the title of this feast-day to "Feast of the Holy Rosary". This feast was extended by Pope Clement XI to the whole of the Latin Rite, inserting it into the Roman Catholic calendar of saints in 1716, and assigning it to the first Sunday in October. Pope Pius X changed the date to 7 October in 1913, as part of his effort to restore celebration of the liturgy of the Sundays.
Prior to the Battle of Lepanto, in thanks for the victory of the Battle of Muret, Simon de Montfort, 5th Earl of Leicester built the first shrine dedicated to Our Lady of Victory.
Our Lady of the Rosary is the patron saint of several Churches around the world and Maríadel Rosario is a common female Spanish name (colloquially abbreviated to Rosario or Charo). Rosario can also be used as a male first name, particularly in Italian. There are families, belonging to Anglo-Indian Community, in and around Fort Cochin who hold Rozario or D'Rozario as their Surname.
The devotion of the rosary was revealed to St. Dominic by Our Lady. It was born, therefore, in a private revelation. Although it came from a private revelation, the praying of the Rosary was extended to the entire Catholic Church.
What is the rosary? The rosary is a series of mediations on the mysteries from the lives of Our Lord and Our Lady. These mysteries are simultaneously prayers that one says vocally and meditations that one makes mentally. This mixture of vocal prayer and meditation is a splendid thing, because while the lips pronounce a plea, the mind concentrates on a point of the mystery. It is a dual activity that intimately unites one with God.
The practice of praying the rosary to beg a grace from God supposes the theological truth that Our Lady is the Universal Mediatrix or instrument of all graces. It is, therefore, a small masterpiece of spirituality and Catholic doctrine as they should be understood. The rosary is not a religious custom relying on emotions, but rather a serious, solid, and meditative pious practice, which explains why the rosary has obtained so many graces.Each mystery of the Rosary has its special graces that correspond to the meditation. It is very beautiful and valuable to meditate on the mysteries of the rosary, because for each decade, one contemplates a different event or faith-truth with its special graces: There are particular graces for the mystery of the Annunciation, others for the Agony in the Garden, yet others associated with the Ascension of Our Lord. Each one of the decades has its special graces, and the person who recites the mysteries and meditates on all of them attracts to his soul the ensemble of graces from the lives of Our Lord and Our Lady.
We know from history that the victory of the Battle of Lepanto was achieved when St. Pius V interrupted a meeting with Cardinals at the Vatican and went to a window and started to pray the rosary. He was deeply concerned about the future of the Church and Christendom that was being decided in those Mediterranean waters. After the Pontiff finished praying the rosary, he returned to the meeting and told the Cardinals that the Catholic fleet had been victorious. That is, he had a revelation while he was praying the rosary. It was the way Our Lady showed him that she linked that victory to his praying of the rosary. Understanding this, St. Pius V instituted the feast of Our Lady of the Rosary, which was extended to the whole Church in commemoration for another great victory over the Mohammedans in 1716.
Let us ask Our Lady of the Rosary to bless this intention of saying the Rosary daily and give us the grace to carry it out.
Promises of Our Lady to those who devoutly recite and pray the Rosary
- Whoever shall faithfully serve me by the recitation of the Rosary, shall receive signalgraces.
- I promise my special protection and the greatest graces to all those who shall recite theRosary.
- The Rosary shall be a powerfularmour against hell, it will destroy vice, decrease sin, anddefeat heresies.
- It will cause virtue and good works to flourish; it will obtain for souls the abundant mercyof God; it will withdraw the hearts of men from the love of the world and its vanities, andwill lift them to the desire of eternal things. Oh, that souls would sanctify themselves bythis means.
- The soul which recommends itself to me by the recitation of the Rosary, shall not perish.
- Whoever shall recite the Rosary devoutly, applying himself to the consideration of itssacred mysteries shall never be conquered by misfortune. God will not chastise him inHis justice, he shall not perish by an unprovoked death; if he be just he shall remain inthe grace of God, and become worthy of eternal life.
- Whoever shall have a true devotion for the Rosary shall not die without the sacraments ofthe Church.
- Those who are faithful to recite the Rosary shall have during their life and at their death the light of God and the plenitude of His graces; at the moment of death they shallparticipate in the merits of the saints in paradise.
- I will deliver very promptly from purgatory those who have been devoted to the Rosary.
- The faithful children of the Rosary shall merit a high degree of glory in heaven.
- You shall obtain all you ask of me by the recitation of the Rosary.
- All those who propagate the Holy Rosary shall be aided by me in their necessities.
- I have obtained from my Divine Son that all the advocates of the Rosary shall have forintercessors the entire celestial court during their life and at the hour of their death.
- All who recite the Rosary are all my beloved children, the brothers and sisters of JesusChrist.
- Devotion of my Rosary is a great sign of predestination.